COUNTY FAIR


Every summer around this time I pack my family into the van and drive a good two hours straight west on I-88 to visit the Ogle County Fair in Oregon, IL. Besides evacuating my family from the heart of Lollapalooza it is good to change pace and spend a weekend in the country. The Ogle County Fair is a rare find. It is authentic, old fashioned, and good clean country fun with cowboys, farm animals, 4H and a demolition derby. How many of you have ever seen bull riding live ?

Real beauty lies in curves...
OK, a demolition derby is not exactly good clean fun. It's loud and it's muddy. It appeals to the most primitive instincts and it makes you wanna shake your mullet in the wind, but all the same, it sure is fun. Number 53 was our favorite, the rust bucket just wouldn't give up. Oregon, IL has the best little 50's drive in called Jay's . Two years ago my kids got their burgers and fries served in a cardboard 1959 pink Cadillac. They are still talking about it. My husband The Great Shake Connoisseur is still talking about his chocolate shake...Rochelle, where the Union Pacific and Burlington Northern Santa Fe railroads cross is a great place for train spotting.
I can't wait to go back next year!